Victoria Bowles, who survived the fatal car wreck that killed a University of Georgia football player and recruiting staffer on Jan. 15, has filed a lawsuit against the UGA Athletic Association and Philadelphia Eagles rookie Jalen Carter, whom police accused of racing the SUV being driven by a recruiting staffer when it wrecked.

The lawsuit, filed in state court in Gwinnett County on Wednesday by Bowles, a former recruiting analyst for the university, accuses the UGA athletic association of negligence and contradicts public statements by Bulldogs football coach Kirby Smart and other officials, who have claimed that recruiting staffer Chandler LeCroy shouldn’t have been driving the leased SUV when it left the road and struck trees and utility poles.

The crash occurred hours after Georgia celebrated its second straight national championship with an on-campus parade. After the wreck, the athletic association issued a statement that said in part that “rental vehicles were to be turned in at the immediate conclusion of recruiting duties.”

The lawsuit also alleges that the athletic association was negligent in allowing LeCroy to drive the SUV during her duties. Bowles’ lawyers contend that athletic officials were aware that “LeCroy had at least four speeding tickets, which included two ‘super speeder’ violations under Georgia law.” The lawsuit claims LeCroy’s supervisor was in the car when she received her most recent super speeder ticket on Oct. 30 while driving home from the Georgia-Florida game in Jacksonville, Florida.

The lawsuit said LeCroy’s SUV was traveling at least 104.2 mph when it crashed and had been racing another SUV driven by Carter for 45 seconds or less. Police said LeCroy’s blood alcohol concentration was .197, nearly 2½ times the legal limit in Georgia.

In a statement Thursday, the Georgia Athletic Association said: “We are continuing to review the complaint, as plaintiff’s counsel elected to share it with the media before sharing it with us. Based on our preliminary review, we dispute its claims and will vigorously defend the Athletic Association’s interests in court.”

The lawsuit accuses Carter of illegally leaving the scene without speaking to law enforcement and failing to render aid.

Carter pleaded no contest on March 16 to misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and racing. He was sentenced to 12 months of probation, a $1,000 fine and 80 hours of community service and will attend a state-approved defensive driving course.

Carter was selected with the ninth overall pick by the Eagles in this year’s NFL draft.