LSU will forgo participating in a bowl game this season, adding to the list of self-imposed sanctions stemming from the NCAA’s investigation into improper booster payments to its football players.

The school announced the self-imposed bowl ban on Wednesday night.

LSU, which is 3-5 with two games remaining on its schedule, could have finished the regular season under .500 and still been eligible to participate in a bowl game because the NCAA waived bowl eligibility requirements this season in order to provide greater flexibility during the COVID-19 pandemic.

ESPN reported last month that LSU had self-imposed a loss of eight scholarships over two years; a reduction in recruiting visits, evaluations and communication; and a ban of Cleveland Browns wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. from its football facilities for two years.

LSU’s football program is charged with a Level III violation involving Beckham, a former Tigers star, who gave $2,000 in cash to four Tigers football players on the field after the team’s 42-25 victory over Clemson in the College Football Playoff National Championship game on Jan. 13.

In a statement released on Wednesday night, the school said the additional action taken represents its “commitment to compliance with NCAA regulations and maintenance of institutional control.”

“I respect the university’s decision to proactively address NCAA issues from the past,” coach Ed Orgeron said in a statement. “I share the disappointment of our student-athletes who will not be able to compete this season in a bowl game. I am especially proud of our players’ dedication to the program during these unprecedented times in our country. Their pride in LSU will be the driving force as we continue to build a championship program. Geaux Tigers.”

The NCAA’s investigation into the football program is part of a larger inquiry that has gone on for three years.