— NASCAR has suspended its season until May as part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s recommendation to postpone gatherings for the next eight weeks because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The decision came after at least two Monday conference calls between the sanctioning body and its team owners. It affects seven total races — Atlanta and Homestead already had been postponed.
“The health and safety of our fans, industry and the communities in which we race is our most important priority,” NASCAR said.
The series plans to return to the track at Martinsville Speedway in Virginia on May 9.
“We intend to hold all 36 races this season, with future rescheduling soon to be determined as we continue to monitor this situation closely with public health officials and medical experts,” NASCAR said. “What is important now transcends the world of sports and our focus is on everyone’s safety and well-being as we navigate this challenging time together.”
NASCAR first said it would run last weekend and this coming weekend without spectators, but it reversed course Friday and postponed the races at Atlanta Motor Speedway and Homestead-Miami Speedway.