Sources have told ESPN that senior figures behind Al Hilal‘s attempt to sign Lionel Messi fear he has lost interest as he also weighs a move to either Barcelona or Inter Miami.

Media reports Wednesday said that Messi has reached a deal with Inter Miami, but a spokesperson for the Major League Soccer club declined comment when asked to confirm or deny by ESPN’s Jeff Carlisle.

Messi, 35, is due to become a free agent when his contract at Paris Saint-Germain expires on June 30, and the French champions announced last week that the former Barca star, who moved to Parc des Princes in 2021, will not remain at the club beyond the end of his deal.

ESPN reported in April that Al Hilal, one of four Saudi Pro League clubs taken over by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund this week, had made an offer to Messi, with sources saying the club believed they had a “50-50” chance of signing the player.

But while Al Hilal’s offer remains on the table, sources in Saudi Arabia have told ESPN that contact with the Messi camp has diminished and that there is a growing acceptance that the Argentine is now torn between a return to Barca, with whom he won 10 LaLiga titles and four Champions League titles before his exit to PSG, and a move to the Miami franchise part-owned by David Beckham.